corks

corks

Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Mighty Zinfandel

   I know... A Sommelier is supposed to like all wines but I have to admit that I have particular fascination with California Zinfandel's. Zinfandel is dark in colour with rich aromas of blackberry, vanilla and other dark fruit with "jam like" flavours that pair well with most BBQ meats such as pork ribs, steak or flame broiled burgers. Zin wines have a unique colour, aroma and flavour that meld together to form what I think is a superior red wine. Zinfandel wines from Lodi, Paso Robles and Dry Creek regions of California produce some of the best fruit forward Zins that I have ever tasted.  Since Zinfandel is so closely related to it's Italian cousin Primitivo, I find myself indulging in wines from the Puglia region as well as California. Some Puglia wine producers are starting to label their wines as Zinfandel even though they are Primitivo based.

Here's some of my favourite Zinfandel wines

The Wanted Zin - Puglia, Italy IGT

A Primitivo wine aged in American oak from Italy being sold as a Zinfandel. This wine is not quite like the California Zin but it is quite good.

(LCBO 416487) - $14.10








Paso Creek Zinfandel - Paso Robles, California

One of my favourite Zins from California and it's reasonably priced. Fruit forward flavours of plum and mocha. It has a long lasting jammy finish that leaves you wanting more. A great wine for sipping or with a barbecued steak.

(LCBO 279810 - $16.75)


Victor Old Vine Zinfandel - Lodi, California

Another decently priced Zinfandel with grapes sourced from 100 year old vines which is supported by the dark and rich flavours of blueberry and vanilla.

(LCBO - 438531 - $17.25)





1 comment:

  1. 4 months inbetween blog posts? Pffft... C'mon Mark! You're better than that! I'm particular to the Zin wines myself. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything out of California.

    ReplyDelete